Applying for a Vendor Permit

Applicants for an itinerant vendor's or peddler's permit will be required to furnish the following information:
  1. Applicant's full name and the full names of each agent or employee who will be working under the permit
  2. Permanent home address and present local address of the applicant
  3. Name and business address of the applicant's employer
  4. If the applicant owns or uses a motor vehicle in connection with is business, a description of the motor vehicle and the license number
  5. A description of the merchandise or services to be sold
  6. A statement as to whether or not the applicant has been convicted of any felony
  7. A site plan to be drawn by the applicant which shows the location to be used
  8. Proposed duration of temporary sales operation
  9. Written permission of the owner of the land or building where the sales are to take place (Itinerant Vendor only)
  10. A copy of the applicant's Texas limited sales and use tax permit
  11. A description of the proposed parking spaces to be used and proposed manner to dispose of trash/litter

Bond Required

Applications for a Vendor Permit must be accompanied by a bond, approved by the City Attorney, in the sum of $5,000. The bond must be signed by the applicant, and signed, as surety, by a surety company authorized to do business in the State of Texas. See Section 5-125 of the Big Spring Code of Ordinances (PDF) for additional bond requirements.

Vendor Permit Fees

The following fees will apply to Vendor Permit applications:
  • Agent Fee: $10 for each agent in excess of 2
  • Application Processing Fee: $50
  • Police Department Investigation Fee: $75
These fees are applied to the expenses incurred in processing the application and in enforcing city ordinance. No more than 1 investigation charge will be made for any 1 location.

Agricultural Products

Applicants offering for sale agricultural products grown or produced by them in Howard County will not be required to pay the Vendor Permit fees, but the permit card required will be issued upon satisfactory proof that they have produced or grown the products to be peddled and the products have been approved by the Health Department.